To start with, I have to tell you all I made an amazing revelation. Suddenly, while working on the worldbuilding for Shadows of Imeria, I realized I can turn the first book into two books as I will have enough content for it. Things will have to be changed a little, but it will definitely turn out to be better in the end. It will increase the length of the story and will definitely not ruin the plot or pacing. It’ll give me room to truly show you how beautiful the world is that the continent of Imeria resides in.
Now, onto progress, every single character profile has been completely finished and printed off for reference points when I get to the editing stage. There were twenty character profiles completed and they stand between 3k and 5k words each, it was tedious and a little annoying at times but I am glad that I managed to get them done, because now the characters feel even more amazing and I managed to get so much more to write about them in the books. I also realized during that time that there was a character I needed to cut out and one character who isn’t who he seems (sorry, can’t spoil too much for you all).
Worldbuilding has almost been completely finished, with villages, cities, and settlements truly becoming what they were meant to be. I turned the measly 5k and 12-page Word document into a 12k and 36-page document so far and I’m still going.
I’ve finished detailing the entire history of the world and how it came to be. I’ve figured out how education works, how the economy figures into everything, and a few more things.
I still need to finish detailing wars that have been waged by writing them out, who waged it, who won, how many casualties, etc. I need to complete city details such as the histories of cities and their reason for existing. Write up the start of organizations, who leads them and what their purposes are. Flesh out the culture of each race and how they came to be the way they are. I am working on the magic system and that is developing nicely too. My world is becoming more and more beautiful with each passing day.
When it comes to worldbuilding, there’s a lot of work that needs to go into it. I needed to, and for some things still need to:
- flesh out each culture
- make a somewhat stable economy
- fix any problems I have with the factions/groups in the story
- create cuisine and know what kind of foods are available
- create and organize governments, to figure out how each city is governed
- mend any holes that are in the history of the world
- add more structure to the magic system
- figure out the military powers in the world and what kind of structure and rules they follow.
- create medicines and remedies used by the inhabitants of the world
- flesh out the details of the people in the world
- add more to the settings that the story takes place in
- diversify and manage the races of the world to become even more unique and amazing
- add incredible amounts of details to regions and the cities that dwell there
- create and add more when it comes to religion, faith, and belief
- create and discover what kind of technologies are used around the world
- write the details of each war that has occurred in the past
With almost everything done, I just need to give it a light polish, I will be printing off the worldbuilding document and then I will be starting the revision of my novel. The revision should start in or just after the first week of next month. I am still super excited about being able to turn this novel into two separate books and I hope you all are as well!